We have been using our homemade miso in a variety of ways since it has finished. We ended up with a light-sweet miso that’s quite tasty as a miso-butter combo. We put it on our shrimp one week and were blown away by the flavor combination. If you don’t have homemade miso, that’s fine! Use a store-bought light/white variety.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 2 to 3
For the Miso-butter:
- 2 Tbsp. Miso-butter
- 1/4 cup mirin
Note on making miso-butter:
Miso-butter can be made by using light/white miso and unsalted butter. Miso already contains a good amount of salt due to how it’s made. Use a 1:2 ratio of miso and butter. For example, 4 tablespoons of miso to 8 tablespoons of butter. Allow the miso and butter to come to room temperature. Place both in a bowl with the correct ratio and mix until well-combined.
For the rest of the recipe:
- Canola oil for frying
- 12 oz. shrimp
- 1/4 onion
- 3 cabbage leaves
- 4 baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 cups Israeli couscous
- 1.75 cups water or chicken or vegetable broth
- Bowl and spoon for mixing miso-butter
- Measuring cup(s)/spoons
- Cast-iron skillet for shrimp and vegetables
- Pot for couscous
- Cutting board
- Tongs, wooden spoon, chopping knife
- Mix together the miso-butter with a 1:2 ratio of each. 4 Tbsp. miso and 8 Tbsp. butter; set aside 2 Tbsp for cooking. Store the rest in a bowl with a lid and place in the fridge for later use. Mix 1/4 cup mirin with the 2 Tbsp. miso-butter until well combined. Set aside for later in the recipe.
- Clean shrimp if need be, remove heads, legs, and leave on the tail if desired. Chop the onions, cabbage leaves, mushrooms. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Mince garlic.
- Cook the couscous in the water (or broth if you desire) for 10 minutes with a lid on the pot.
- Heat the stove-top to high. Place a couple teaspoons of canola oil in your skillet and fry up the onion and mushroom. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook a few minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook for one or two minutes until it chars slightly. Remove and set aside the vegetables.
- Pan-fry the shrimp until about half cooked, a couple minutes. Add the miso-butter-mirin mixture and cook on high until the shrimp is done to your liking. Add the vegetables back to the pan and stir together.
- When the couscous is done, set in a bowl and place the shrimp-vegetables on top. Or mix in with the couscous and serve.