With the arrival of autumn comes the hearty breads. Focaccia is a simple bread to make and requires few ingredients. So long as you have flour, yeast, salt, water, olive oil, and some herbs you can make a bread to accompany your lunch and dinner. The toppings on focaccia bread can be diverse. You can add tomatoes, onions, different kinds of herbs like rosemary or even fennel. Putting cheese on it is another option. The choice is yours!
Prep Time: 1.5-2.5 hours (roughly 1-2 hours rising)
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
Servings: 16 slices
- 500g flour
- 10g yeast
- 10g salt
- 325g water
- 40g olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp. coarse salt
- 1 tsp. each of oregano, parsley, basil or….
- Or choose other toppings such as sliced onion, halved cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced large tomatoes, shredded cheese, etc.
- Kitchen weight scale
- Bowl x 1
- Mixing spoon x 1
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Sheet pan, roasting pan, or 8-inch cake pan x 2
- Optional: Stand mixer with bread hook
- Weigh each and then place into a bowl, the flour, yeast, salt, water, and olive oil. If you’re using a stand mixer, mix for a few minutes until the dough comes together. Otherwise, mix the dough with the spoon until it’s too hard then turn onto a countertop and knead the dough for several minutes. Try to use as little flour as you can to help it not stick. If you have trouble kneading you can use flatten the dough with your hands, take one half and fold it over the other. Turn 90 degrees and repeat. The dough may still be a bit sticky, but less so than when you started.
- Allow the dough to rest in the bowl for 60 minutes or until doubled in size. Using some olive oil or butter spray, grease your pan. Turn the dough into the pan and gently flatten it to fill the space. Allow to rest again for 30 minutes, up to another 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Using your fingers, make small dimples all around the bread. For the toppings, mix the dry ingredients together. Spread the 2-3 Tbsp. of olive oil over the bread. Spread the dry ingredients such as garlic, salt, herbs, or other toppings. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Once the bread is cool enough to handle, slice how you desire and serve. Enjoy!